Turning Money into Rebellion, recently released by PM Press and Kersplebedeb, has received much attention in Denmark. Telling “the unlikely story of Denmark’s revolutionary bank robbers”, the book focuses on the exploits of the so-called Blekingegade Group, a circle of antiimperialist Marxists responsible for a series of robberies stretching from 1972 to 1988.… Read the rest
So we’re somewhere, can’t even agree on how to characterize where, but what we do agree on is we want to get out. There’s paths leading in all directions, and we can only see so far down each. Some we know are dead ends, some we know are worse.… Read the rest
Some things i have read online over the past month, which i found interesting and think some of you might too:
- There are No DNA Checkpoints under the Tree of Peace, Dr. Kahente Horn-Miller Two Row Times (August 12, 2014)
- How to Master Secret Work, written in 1980 by the (then underground) South African Communist Party to help them in the fight against Apartheid)
- Montreal Jews Occupy The Lobby Of Federation Cja Building, Protesting Israel’s Massacre And Siege On Gaza, August 7, 2014
- Settlerism, Global Empire, and American Opinions about Gaza, Leading Light Communist Organization, August 2, 2014
- Gender, Nation, Class And The Foundations Of Hamas, Dr.
No One Is Illegal | Personne n’est illégal | Nadie es ilegal from Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver (Coast Salish Territories) and other migrant justice organizers are coordinating the following set of workshops, films, dialogues and assemblies at the Peoples Social Forum – Forum social des peuples in Ottawa from Thursday, August 21 to Sunday, August 24.… Read the rest
In case you haven’t heard, the People’s Social Forum – part of the global movement of social forums that have emerged at different levels since the first World Social Forum (WSF) was held in Porto Alegre (Brazil) in January 2001 — will be happening in Ottawa from August 21-24, i.e.… Read the rest
As part of the Peoples Social Forum, on August 23rd, J. Moufawad-Paul, author of MLM Mayhem! (http://moufawad-paul.blogspot.ca/) will be in Ottawa to attend the launch of his book, The Communist Necessity. A sleek and punchy treatise about the problems of social movementism and the need for a “new return” to a revolutionary communist tradition, The Communist Necessity is a philosophical intervention that forces the reader to think through the problems presented by contemporary capitalism that are not answered by mainstream left-wing theories of organization and strategy inherited from the anti-globalization movement.… Read the rest
In Terry Bisson’s interview with Ken MacLeod in The Human Front (PM Press, 2013), there’s this great answer to Bisson’s question “How come so many UK leftists are Trots?” :
Short answer: because Trotskyists in Britain moved fast on the CP’s crisis in the 1950s, and moved with the times in the 1960s.… Read the rest
Things i found interesting this week:
- The ‘N’ word through the ages: The madness of HP Lovecraft by Phenderson Djeli Clark (Media Diversified, May 24, 2014)
- Criminalization, Crisis and Care: Tennessee’s S.B. 1391 and Attacks on Reproduction by the Florence Johnston Collective July 12, 2014
- Slavok Zizek Accused on Plagiarizing White Supremacist Magazine by Eugene Wolters (Critical Theory, July 11, 2014)
- ‘Christ of nations’ in London by Maciej Zurowski (Weekly Worker July 3, 2014)
- The genocide test: Canada’s destruction of indigenous culture was systematic and deliberate — but was it genocidal?
There is a demonstration on Friday, July 11th, to stop Israel’s war against Palestine, in Montreal at the corner of Guy and St-Catherine St (by Guy-Concordia metro).
The demonstration is called for 5:30pm.
Please note that the demo was initially called for Sunday, but the date changed.… Read the rest
Queer Between the Covers, Montreal’s annual queer book fair, is almost upon us!
Comité social Centre-Sud
1710 rue Beaudry
Free entry, wheelchair-accessible venue.
Please note that the entrance to the book fair will be through the parking lot on the south side of the building!… Read the rest
New York State Political Prisoner Jalil Muntaqim was recently denied parole for the 8th time by the New York State Parole Board. Jalil first became eligible for parole in 2002, and has been denied parole from that time to the present.… Read the rest