No One Is Illegal | Personne n’est illégal | Nadie es ilegal from Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver (Coast Salish Territories) and other migrant justice organizers are coordinating the following set of workshops, films, dialogues and assemblies at the Peoples Social Forum – Forum social des peuples in Ottawa from Thursday, August 21 to Sunday, August 24.… Read the rest
Some things i have read online over the past month, which i found interesting and think some of you might too:
- There are No DNA Checkpoints under the Tree of Peace, Dr. Kahente Horn-Miller Two Row Times (August 12, 2014)
- How to Master Secret Work, written in 1980 by the (then underground) South African Communist Party to help them in the fight against Apartheid)
- Montreal Jews Occupy The Lobby Of Federation Cja Building, Protesting Israel’s Massacre And Siege On Gaza, August 7, 2014
- Settlerism, Global Empire, and American Opinions about Gaza, Leading Light Communist Organization, August 2, 2014
- Gender, Nation, Class And The Foundations Of Hamas, Dr.
In Terry Bisson’s interview with Ken MacLeod in The Human Front (PM Press, 2013), there’s this great answer to Bisson’s question “How come so many UK leftists are Trots?” :
Short answer: because Trotskyists in Britain moved fast on the CP’s crisis in the 1950s, and moved with the times in the 1960s.… Read the rest
Things i found interesting this week:
- The ‘N’ word through the ages: The madness of HP Lovecraft by Phenderson Djeli Clark (Media Diversified, May 24, 2014)
- Criminalization, Crisis and Care: Tennessee’s S.B. 1391 and Attacks on Reproduction by the Florence Johnston Collective July 12, 2014
- Slavok Zizek Accused on Plagiarizing White Supremacist Magazine by Eugene Wolters (Critical Theory, July 11, 2014)
- ‘Christ of nations’ in London by Maciej Zurowski (Weekly Worker July 3, 2014)
- The genocide test: Canada’s destruction of indigenous culture was systematic and deliberate — but was it genocidal?
There is a demonstration on Friday, July 11th, to stop Israel’s war against Palestine, in Montreal at the corner of Guy and St-Catherine St (by Guy-Concordia metro).
The demonstration is called for 5:30pm.
Please note that the demo was initially called for Sunday, but the date changed.… Read the rest
Queer Between the Covers, Montreal’s annual queer book fair, is almost upon us!
Comité social Centre-Sud
1710 rue Beaudry
Free entry, wheelchair-accessible venue.
Please note that the entrance to the book fair will be through the parking lot on the south side of the building!… Read the rest
New York State Political Prisoner Jalil Muntaqim was recently denied parole for the 8th time by the New York State Parole Board. Jalil first became eligible for parole in 2002, and has been denied parole from that time to the present.… Read the rest
Statement on recent FBI visits and questioning of political activists (Bay Area Committee to Resist Political Repression)
Over the past few weeks, more than a dozen political activists in New York, Chicago, and the San Francisco Bay Area have been visited by FBI, US Marshals, and Joint Terrorist Task Force (JTTF) agents. In some cases the agents have shown a more than 30-year-old wanted poster of Donna Borup, who was arrested with others during a 1981 anti-Apartheid demonstration at JFK International Airport.… Read the rest
Some stuff i have found interesting over the past couple of weeks:
- How Did the FBI Miss Over 1 Million Rapes? Soraya Chemaly, The Nation, June 27, 2014
- The Khazars did not convert to Judaism, historian finds MEDIEVALISTS.NET, June 26, 2014
- A Black Dyke Reflects on the Panthers, Alycee Lane, Fire on the Mountain
- Terry Eagleton: A Late-Life Return to Religion, Publishers Weekly June 24, 2014
- Why I Chose Not to Be Involved in Whitelandia by Walidah Imarisha
- First Nations social contracts: How to contain an aboriginal rebellion, by David Peerla, Shiri Pasternak, for CBC News May 30, 2014
- OWFI Statement: On the Occupation of Mosul and the Cities of Western Iraq, June 23, 2014
- Communist Party of the Philippines recognizes LGBT rights, welfare, Outrage June 23, 2014
Kevin “Rashid” Johnson continues to suffer from chronic health problems and HAS NOT YET BEEN SEEN BY A DOCTOR. Despite the fact that he has carefully followed prison protocol and despite his being referred by two different nurses for an MD visit, he still has not received one.… Read the rest