Montreal-based organisations and individuals have come together to coordinate our responses to calls for solidarity from our brothers and sisters in Lebanon and Gaza, currently living under a vicious military offensive by Israel which has killed hundreds and destroyed civilian infrastructure, with devastating consequences.
While the Canadian government is, outrageously, supporting Israel’s war crimes, members of the Lebanese and Palestinian diaspora in Montreal and those who stand in solidarity with them are taking the following actions in support of the people of Gaza and Lebanon.
==> TO GET INVOLVED: contact details are listed with each of the initiatives below.
==> ADDITIONAL INITIATIVES: As we become aware of further plans, they will be posted at http://tadamon.resist.ca/ along with updates from Lebanon; please email firstname.lastname@example.org to have an event or appeal or update posted.
1. PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATION against the Aggression against Lebanon Tuesday, 18 July, 5pm Dorchester Square, at 1155 Metcalfe (corner of Metcalfe and René-Lévèsque) Called by: University Lebanese Association. Contact: Wissam Moussa, tel. 514 586 4415, email@example.com
2. SOLIDARITY CHAIN (info-picket with images of the atrocities) prior to US fireworks Wednesday, 19 July, gathering at 8pm Place Jacques Cartier, Vieux Montréal
Called by: Association des jeunes libanais musulmans Contact: Youssef Hariri, tel. 514 887-7156, firstname.lastname@example.org
3. FRIDAY VIGIL at ISRAELI CONSULATE Friday, 21 July, 12pm to 1pm NW corner of Peel and René-Levesque Called by: Palestinian and Jewish Unity (PAJU)
**Also, SPHR is planning a rally on this day; details to be confirmed. Contact (PAJU): Daniel Saykaly, tel. 514 961 3928, email@example.com Contact (SPHR): Nasser Abukhdeir, tel 514 991 5146, firstname.lastname@example.org
4. 24-hour VIGIL at ISRAELI CONSULATE Starting after the PAJU vigil, continuing until the rally the following day. Corner of Peel and René-Lévèsque
Called by: Various groups Contact: Aaron Lakoff, tel 514 985 2085, email@example.com
5. INTERNATIONAL DAY OF ACTION in solidarity with people in Lebanon and Gaza Saturday, 22 July, 2pm Gather at corner of Peel and René-Lévèsque
Called by: Canadian Muslim Forum Contact: Mohamed Kamel, tel 514 863 9202, firstname.lastname@example.org
6. RELIEF EFFORT FUND-RAISING As increasing numbers are displaced and wounded and civilian infrastructure is destroyed, there will be a huge need for well-directed funds to provide basic survival to people in Lebanon and Gaza. A crisis working group, Relief Center – Spears, has formed in Beirut to support refugees coming into the city: http://tadamon.resist.ca/index.php/?p=50. We will be fund-raising to help with the relief effort and possibly others (to be confirmed).
Contact: Lara di Tomaso, 514 695 0319, email@example.com
7. CALL-IN DAYS and FLYERS To let the government know that many people are outraged by their support for Israeli war crimes, one or more call-in days will be organised. In addition, flyers will be distributed at all events, urging people to call in to PM Stephan Harper and Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay. Contact: Nasser Abukhdeir, tel 514 991 5146, firstname.lastname@example.org
Association des jeunes libanais musulmans Canadian Muslim Forum Coalition against the Deportation of Palestinian Refugees International Solidarity Movement Montreal
Members of the Lebanese Diaspora Members of the Palestinian Diaspora Palestinian And Jewish Unity (PAJU) Parole Arabe Presence musulmane Montréal (PMM) Solidarity with Palestinian Human Rights (SPHR) Tadamon! Montreal Voices of Conscience