This weekend is the 2nd North American Anarchist Studies Conference, to be held in Toronto, Canada. i’ll be tabling there on behalf of Kersplebedeb and PM Press – please do come by to say hello!
The schedule, for those of you thinking of attending:
North American Anarchist Studies Conference: January, 14-16th 2011
Friday, January 14th
Opening Film Night!
CINECYCLE- 129 Spadina Avenue (in the old coach house down the alley).
Join us for a low-key evening of radical film screenings, discussion and socializing to kick off the conference.
- “Tales From the G20”- Open Media Initiative w/ Justin Saunders.
- Chet Singh dub poetry performance.
- “Carne de Fieras” (1936) w/ Jesse Cohn introducing.
- Short contributions from NAASN members and members from the Toronto Alternative Media Centre.
Saturday, January 15th
STEEL WORKER’S HALL- 25 Cecil St.
Registration and coffee!
Opening/plenary panel and group discussion!
‘The Past, Present and Potential Futures of Anarchism’ – Jaggi Singh, Irina Ceric, Denis Rancourt, Lesley Wood.
Facilitator: Sharmeen Khan
Contemporary Anarchism and the Arts
- Adrian Blackwell- Anarchist Urban Design
- Sandra Jeppesen- Anarchist Literature
- Luis Jacob- Groundless Aesthetics
Moderator: Allan Antliff
Anarchist Economics: History, Analysis and Vision
- Deric Shannon- An Overview of Anarchist Economics
- Chris Spannos- The History of Anarchist Economics as a Lens to See the Future
- Abbey Willis- Tools for Understanding Capitalism in the 2000s
- Wayne Price- The Anarchist Post-Capitalist Vision
Moderator: Jasmin Mujanovic
Alexis Shotwell- Practical Strategies for Anarchist Writing: A Workshop
Testament- Building Bridges and Working with Unlikely Allies
Movement Knowledge I: Movement Research
- Aziz Choudry- Activist Research: Mapping the Practices of Knowledge Production for Social Action
- Chris Dixon- Accountability to whom? Ethics and Activism in Movement Research
- Gary Kinsman- Mapping Social Relations of Struggle: Producing Knowledge for Social Transformation
- Research Group on Collective Autonomy- Ethics and Accountability in Prefigurative Participatory Antiauthoritarian Research
Moderator: Kalin Stacey
Transnational Anarchism in the Americas 1
- Kenyon Zimmer- ‘Yiddish is My Homeland’: A Transatlantic History of Jewish-American Anarchism, 1880s-1930s
- Kirt Shaffer- Panama Reds: Anarchist Politics and Transregional Networks in the Panama Canal Zone, 1904-1916
- Steve Hirsch- Constructing a Working-Class Counterculture: Transnational Anarchism and the Anarchist Press in Northern Peru, 1898-1922
Moderator: Nathan Jun
Anarchism, Gender and (Dis)ability: Expanding the Anarchist Critique
- Mitchell Verter- Towards an Anarchafeminist Subversion of Politics
- Anne Goldenberg- Feminist Takes on Organizing in Critical and Technological Movements
- Liat Ben-Moshe- Queercripping Anarchism
- Timothy Luchies- Creative (Self-)Destruction: Critiquing White and Male Supremacy in North American Anarchism
Moderator: Anthony J. Nocella II
Challenging Conformity: Anarchist Memory and Prospects
- A.D Hoyt- The International Anarchist Archives: A Report on Conditions and a Proposal for Action
- Nathan Jun- Flowers for the Fallen: The Romantic Anarchism of Pietro Gori
- Bryan Nelson- Orientation and Mappings: Anarchism, Marxism, Democracy: Traditions in Theory
- Ron Sakolsky- Mutual Acquienscence
Moderator: Daniel Cairns
- Micheal Loadenthal- Militant Not Terrorists: How the Radical Animal and Earth Liberation Movement Challenges the State and Capitalsim
- Karl Hardy & Usman Mushtaq- Responses to Climate Change: Radical Critiques and Utopian Alternatives
- Andrea Palichuck- Alienation and Exclusion in Food Lifestyle Politics and Anarchist Organizing
- Michele Flippo Bolduc- Are Community Gardens Inherently Radical?
Moderator: Deric Shannon
Anarchist Readings of Nietzsche
- Nick Day- Ubermensch, Overcoming and Direct Actor: Reconciling Nietzsche with Liberatory Praxis
- Laura Greenwood- Goldman’s Nietzschean Anarchism: A Griemasian Reading of ‘Minorities Versus Majorities’
- Grant Yocom- The ‘Last Man’ in Detriot: Timely Revisions and New Targets for the Arrows of Lomnging
Moderator: Rachel Melis
Riot 2011: Direct Action, Revolt and the Question of Violence
- Kyla Bourne- Alterrepresentation and the Democratic Possibilities of Direct Action
- Edward Avery-Natale- ‘We’re Here, We’re Queer, We’re Anarchists’: The Nature of Identification and Subjectivity Among Black Blocs
- Andreas Reichelt- When the universities were burning (with activism) in…2009
- Madison Trusolino- Human Emancipation, The Spectacle, Divine Violence
Moderator: Tammy Kovich
Perspectivas Anarquistas de America Latina
- Jorella A. Melendez Badillo- El Anarquismo En Puerto Rico: Su Influencia En La Cultura Proletaria En Las Primeras Dos Decades Del Siglo XX
- Octavio Cabrera Serrano- El Antropologo Autogestivo
- Milena Alveo- Cultura anarquista, reflexiones a cerca de la cotidianidad
Saturday Night Social/ UPPING THE ANTI Issue 11 Launch Party!!!
TORONTO FREE GALLERY- 1277 Bloor Street West (at Lansdown).
Doors open at 8:30pm until late!
Join us for the NAASN Conference Saturday night social/ UPPING THE ANTI’s Issue #11 Launch Party.
- Musical performances by LAL and Test Their Logik.
- Kick ass sets by DJs Nik Red and B#.
- Plus refreshments, raffle prizes and more.
Admission $10 with a copy of UPPING THE ANTI, $5 without, and free for UPPING THE ANTI sustainers.
Sunday, January 16th
Steel Worker’s Hall- 25 Cecil St.
Postanarchism, The Specter of Primitivism and Song
- Gregory Kalyniuk- Jurisprudence of the Damned; Deleuze’s Masochian Humor and Anarchist Neo-Monadology
- Daniel Murray- Social Tyranny of the State: Bakunin, Governmentality and Resistance
- Sandy Krolick- A Spector is Haunting America
- Carrie Yvonne Mott- Music in the Anarchist Movement: Radical Politics and Solidarity Through Song
Moderator: Ryan Mitchell
‘Anarchizing’ the Disciplines
- Dennis Fox- Anarchism and Psychology
- David Westling- Anarchism and Individual Psychology
- Dana Williams and Jeff Shantz- Defining an Anarchist-Sociology (A Long-Anticipated Marriage)
- Shaista Patel- Inviting Settlers of Color in Nation Building Projects of White-Settler Colonies
Moderator: Courtney Cecale
Movement Knowledge II: Trajectories of Contemporary Movements and Possibilities for Change
- Kate Milbery- History Will Teach Us Everything: Towards a Praxis of Social Justice
- Andrea Eiland- Breaking Down the Wall: Anarchism and Social Change in the 21st Century
- Dawn Paley- Beyond Alternative Media: Building Space for Radical Journalism
- Michael Trusello- The Trouble With Social Media
Moderator: Ryan Mitchell
Transnational Anarchism in the Americas II
- Geoffroy de Laforcade- counter-Currents and Oppositional Trends Within a Syndicalist Labor Tradition: Locating the Anarchist influence on the Politics of Maritime Trade Unionism in Argentina, 1903-1950
- Amparo Sanchez Cobos- The Island and Beyond: Spanish Anarchist Networks in Cuba, 1900-1925
- Travis Tomchuck- The Radical Culture of Italian Anarchists in North America
- Davide Turcato- Biography, Anarchism and Transnationalism
Crimethinc- Fighting in the New Terrain: Anti-Capitalist Strategies in the 21st Century
Matt B- Know Your Enemy: Conspiracism, Right Wing populism and the Anarchist Movement
TBA Activist Workshop
Militant Methodologies and the Question of Authority
- Max Haiven and Alex Khasnabish- Radicalizing Methods: ‘Convoking’ the Radical Imagination in Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Paul McLaughlin- Methodologies Considerations on Anarchist Theory
- Michael Gutierrez- Two Poles of Authority
- Alden Wood- ‘On Bernadette Corporation’s Get Rid of Yourself’: An Anarcho-Autonomist Critique of the Mimetic Representation of Revolt
Moderator: Michael Loadenthal
Anarchist Subjectivities: Discussions of the Self and Other
- Cameron Ellis- The Loving Anarchist: An Inquiry into the Nature of the Subject of Anarchy
- Kalin Stacey- Innocence and Complicity in Anarchist Discourse
- Joey Brooke Jacob- Why the ‘Stanger’ is Unequal: Towards a Manifesto for Inclusion
- Matthew Hayter- Understanding ‘Power’ as always both power-for and power-over: What can this Perspective do for the sake of anarchist social relations?
Moderator: Ed Avery-Natale and TBA Co-Moderator
Anarchism, Education and the Strange World of Academia
- Paul Lemley- Navigating Respectability
- Dan Webb- ‘The Left’s Wrong Turn and the Postmodern Disavowal of Anarchism’
- Anthony Meza-Wilson- Educational Projects for Decolonization: Anarchist Allyship and Resistance Education in the Americas
- Joseph Todd Montclair- Triangulating Freedom, Power and Education: Learning Webs, Subjectivity, and Resistance
Closing Discussion and Break Out Session!
Facilitator: David McNally
*Childcare will be provided on site for the duration of the weekend.
** The suggested conference fee is sliding scale $10-25 or PWYC (no one will be turned away for lack funds), and all money raised at the door will be donated to the Toronto G20 Legal Defence Fund.
Exhibitors at the Second Annual NAASN Conference:
Between the Lines
Black Cat Press
Community Solidarity Network
Little Black Cart
Rebel Film Board
Thought Crime Ink
Transformative Studies Institute
Upping the Anti